View Single Post
Old 05-23-19, 09:58 PM
jeffwhitfield 

Bikes: Marin Nicasio Whatever (it's not exactly stock anymore!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by D-Fuzz
I did another ride last night with my
friends running 700x45 and 650x47 tires. The only real difference I found was I needed to be a bit more aware of my lines when riding in heavy, deep gravel. Those guys seemed to glide over gravel ridges where I needed to take them at a bit more of an angle. The more I ride the bike, the more comfortable I get with how it handles.
Based on what I’ve read when researching gravel tires, the big difference between a 700c and a 650b tire is the volume. Considering there’s at least an inch difference in the wheel sizes, a 650b tire will give you more volume since the tire has to have a bit larger profile to provide the same overall wheel size as a 700c. So, yeah, wouldn’t surprise me in the least that a 650x47 will provide more control over a 700x45. I’m running on 47’s myself and love them. The extra flex in the tire does indeed allow for more glide over rougher surfaces, thus the reason why the 650b wheel size is becoming so popular. Not sure how much of a difference it makes with speed though. Personally, I prefer a smoother ride with more control.