spudston
2 Old 2 B New B

Bikes: '09 Trek 7.5 FX, '90 Trek Antelope 830, '07 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
What I'm saying is that I follow the law either because I think it's the right thing to do, or because I'm afraid of the repercussions in not following the law. If local police made a concerted effort to crack down on cyclists safely going through red lights, I'd probably start finding a different way to ride out of neccessity. Regardless of whether I can, I won't ride against traffic because it's dangerous for me and inconsiderate to others. I won't ride on the sidewalk because it's the wrong thing to do and does interfere with other people. I don't just ride a certain way because recent activists are concerned about perception.

I ride how I feel is safe for me, based on my experience, and how I feel is considerate to other traffic. I do not feel stopping at every light is safer for me, nor do I feel Idaho laws are inconsiderate to other traffic. If you want to start a rule based law discussion with me, I'll point out some of the ridiculous codes and laws that no one follows. I'll point out that the biggest group of rule breakers, on a % basis, are pedestrians. I'll also point out that an unenforced law isn't really a law. I have never once been stopped by police because of my riding and I always try to behave in a considerate manner...and have found that to be ultimately safer for me. If someone is mad because I filtered at a light on principle, I am not interested. I don't ride to improve the world, or to set an example. I ride to be safe, to get where I need to go and to have fun. With all due respect, a lot of the most self righteous cyclists in my area are some of the least experienced. I've been doing this for a long time...I have ridden more miles on bike than I've driven in a car and I feel I have ample experience to make judgements on what works for me.
You are like a voice of reason in the wilderness, or something like that. I agree with almost everything you say, except for the riding on the sidewalk part. I do that occasionally, but always yield the right of way to others that are using it, which is rare on my commute.

BTW, does anyone get mad at motorcycle riders who filter up to a red light? I was in my car today, and i didn't notice anyone getting upset when this happened. Maybe because I'm in California and this is more of an acceptable practice? I'm not sure if this is OK in other states, but is perfectly legal here. You can share a lane with another vehicle legally, so I think a bicycle would have the same right to filter.