KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by spudston
You are like a voice of reason in the wilderness, or something like that. I agree with almost everything you say, except for the riding on the sidewalk part. I do that occasionally, but always yield the right of way to others that are using it, which is rare on my commute.

BTW, does anyone get mad at motorcycle riders who filter up to a red light? I was in my car today, and i didn't notice anyone getting upset when this happened. Maybe because I'm in California and this is more of an acceptable practice? I'm not sure if this is OK in other states, but is perfectly legal here. You can share a lane with another vehicle legally, so I think a bicycle would have the same right to filter.
I think the sidewalk thing really depends on where you are. My commute is through a highly populated urban area with lots of people using sidewalks...it's not appropriate to ride on them and there just isn't room. I think things might be different in other areas...but I'd still do it very slowly and only for a short distance. I think sidewalk riding is actually more dangerous for the rider in most cases because cars and other traffic don't expect you to be there. My goal while riding is to be noticeable and predictable. I signal, I use lights and I try making eye contact at intersections and stop signs.