View Single Post
Old 03-18-15, 10:57 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Now that Howard Louis Carr, Jr. is back on the local radio dial, be aware that we are sharing the road with his listeners again on weekday afternoons.

(I'm actually serious about this - the temperature on the roads is climbing, and now he's raised the temperature behind some steering wheels, so be careful out there, *especially* between Harvard Square and Arlington.)…
One thing I found funny was that he referred to cyclists as a new “protected” class, the Spandex-Americans. As funny IMO, as ”Gyno-Americans.”

Almost always the only time I ride Mass Ave through Cambridge to Arlington is early on a Saturday or Holiday morning, and occasionally on return trips on those afternoons. I have heard there is a relatively strong police presence there (at least during usual commuting hours) and they will ticket.

BTW, even in laissez-faire Boston, I will not run a red light in a police presence, not so much for fear of being stopped, but out of respect for the uniform. Last year I was given a warning in Newton on a Saturday 6 AM for running a red light (crossing Walnut St on Comm Ave while screeching downhill westbound). The officer, whom I did not see, was pretty good about it, telling me he stopped me out of concern for my safety.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-18-15 at 12:28 PM.