Old 06-08-17, 09:25 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Is Strava Negatively Impacting Your Cycling Club?

I recently read or reread this article and it really resounded this time:

The Angry Singlespeeder: Why Strava Sucks - Mtbr.com

Here are the parts from it that struck a chord with me:

"On Strava, if you’re not first, then you might as well be last. And that’s the problem. The constantly futile quest to be first is ruining the pleasure that used to come with riding a bike."

"Strava is a true paradox, as it’s the most anti-social form of social media. Because everyone is so hell bent on personal best times or bagging the cherished KOM, people don’t talk to one another as much during rides. They’re either hammering, or getting ready to hammer. The social interaction doesn’t happen until everyone goes home and starts dicking with their smartphone or computer, giving ‘kudos’ and other cyber high-fives."

"Thanks to Strava, recovery rides are also a thing of the past. If you do a recovery ride and happen to have your phone or Garmin working, people will see you were 185 out of 200. Then the rumors start flying. 'Oh man, did you see Billy Bob’s time up Monkey Hump? He must have fallen off the wagon!' And what fragile cyclist ego can handle that kind of abuse."

"If you want to race, then either find the fastest group ride in your area, or open up your wallet and sign up for a race. Racing by yourself – or worse – racing on a ride that’s not supposed to be a race is just poor form. In the same way smartphones have forever altered the social code of human interaction, Strava has changed the way people ride — for the worse."

My local club is going through a change right now where a subsection has gotten obsessed with beating Strava times on their rides to the point that they are causing a divisive rift in the club. It causing "us" and "them" rides within the same club.

I've heard of the same thing happening in two other clubs nearby and it caused quite a bit of damage that ultimately made many feel they had no choice but to leave the club. Trying to avoid that locally.

Wondering if Strava is the cause or maybe just an enabler that encourages this type of behavior. Or is this just part of the natural evolution of cycling clubs? Have you seen it locally in your own clubs?