Old 06-10-18, 05:21 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by rangie
Have a look at the strava heat map. Tons of tracks. The trail dosent get much much maintenance and can be pretty high grass.
So you're saying it's NOT really rideable? I'm not a Strava guy, so I can't get to street level to see what you are talking about.

Barn Island-
I'm assuming you're heading north on rt 1 through Mystic and Stonington. Turn right on Greenhaven rd. Then right again to follow the sign for barn island. Theres a gravel double track across the salt marshes (stay along the water and you can't go wrong) that runs you further down Greenhaven. You can just follow the coast around to Pawcatuck. This will add a few miles but is more scenic and gets you around a narrow strech of rt 1.
Sorry, what I meant was, can you tell me more about what there is to see and do at Barn Island? I see it is a wildlife preserve.

If you like Noank you might want to detour through Stonington borough down to the lighthouse.
Been to Stonington many times. In the 1800's, ferries from Greenport, Long Island carried Long Island Rail Road passengers and freight to this village to connect with trains to Boston. I wrote a book about the railroad back in the 1990's and visited Stonington for the first time around then. Surprisingly, I couldn't find a trace of the railroad or ferry station. Nor could I find anyone with any knowledge or photos of it. I have since been back about a dozen times just for the vibe. Did you ever see that movie with Meryll Streep, Tommy Lee Jones, and Steve Carell filmed in Stonington?

If you're going through on on weekend Fort Griswold in Groton is worth a visit. The fort is open anytime but you can climb up into the monument on weekends and holidays.
I will take a look at it. Thanks!