Old 11-25-19, 03:02 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Is this the C&V Subforum?

Perhaps you guys should be excused.

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-CN0001-05-ENG.pdf

Thanks for that! I knew I did read about directional chains, and this is the actual piece I read.

I have always installed chains directionally, but that was due to the old push pins in the chain. When you removed the chain, the link pin stick out on one side, and I always put it back on the same way after cleaning, and Sedis chains lasted forever. I still have a new one, unopened in the box, for when the 1973 Peugeot U-08 eventually needs it.

When I went from a 1973 Fuji (main ride) to a 2016 Bianchi Volpe, I was a bit surprised at some of the "advances" in bike tech. My old "Richard's Bicycle Book," would not cut it, nor would a lot of my tools. Fortunately, the Bianchi came with the original Shimano Instructions for every component of the Tiagra group that was used on the bicycle. I do not know if this was a standard thing or just my dealer. I then downloaded PDFs of every component on the bike, as well as the Shimano Compatibility documents so I could actually read them at a reasonable type size.

As far as the "advances", I am a traditionalist at heart, but STI shifting and especially cassettes are real keepers. To me the STI is like syncromesh gears on an auto transmission. I also like the brifters, but even after 3 years, I still sometimes reach for the downtube shifters. I originally went SPD clipless on the old Fuji, but now after 3 seasons of them on the Bianchi, I am back to toe clips and straps. 40 years of muscle memory has an advantage. I still prefer straight steel frame tubes, and curved fork blades.