Old 03-04-20, 04:54 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Cykilist2
Thanks O-B and skidder. I figured that I might run into roadblocks with gated communities. I called one this morning, and found out what you said... you have to go through the HOA (17 individual ones per the location I wanted to go through... I do like to have a workout, and getting caught up in speed humps, etc might slow me down) The first time around, I didn't do my homework, and ended up routing through a bunch of them, of course, getting stymied each time I turned into one, trying to avoid narrow, car-centric roads, like Ramon, or De Valle, especially when I tried to go from the middle of PS to the Sprouts in La Quinta, and back. I was quite frustrated. This time around, I'm using maps to see which parts have been traced, and the wideness of the roads, so that cars and bikes can coexist. I think I'll do better this time.

O-B: I knew you'd come up with a number of suggested routes. Time to go back to rwgps, and map them out. I've done Tramway, the only time I was there with a bike. Strange that you are stopped at the parking lot entrance.... Safety reasons, so they say. I think they should outlaw cars, too. I'm also going to try the route that leads through the Living Desert as well. I seek out hills.
that would be portola road. gets a little more scenic once past the eyesore marrakesh country club at grapevine/portola. gotta eventually hang a right on mesa view which takes you to hwy 74.
you may be better off just doing repeats on hwy 74 south of hwy 111 as far up the hill as you feel comfy. bike lane up to the previously mentioned squiggly part.
after that, there's zero shoulder with only a few turnouts and bleepy sightlines all the way until two miles east of the hwy 74/hwy 371 junction.
lots of commuting traffic to/from temecula area before 9am and after 2pm. if you're curious about riding the squiggly parts of hwy 74, i recommend driving it first to verify your comfort levels
potentially riding it.

if you're looking for a nearby, longish climb...i'd pick the 243 from the beaumont area heading up to idyllwild vs hwy 74. less traffic and slightly better sightlines. it's about a 25 min drive from cat city/palm springs.
there's also the oak glen climb north of banning (also about a 25 min drive away). from the top of oak glen, you can easily access damnation alley up to forest falls via hwy 38.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-04-20 at 05:05 AM.