Old 03-08-20, 11:01 AM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Cykilist2
I did trace routes better this time around, using gMaps. Found out that that the bike travel in Rancho Mirage (Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope) and Palm Desert ( are FAR better than Cathedral City (the only place I found calming roads was the Cove)...Trying to go N towards PS, by way of Dinah Shore, Ramon, Vista Chino is for the birds, and you have limited options because of all the country clubs and private community access (I did call one of them... she was at least nice about it, but wasn't the right person to talk to... Mentioned speed bumps and some congested traffic, and limited options, especially on gates that were automatic, without security there. There was one, that I had to laugh at. It was at the top of Frank Sinatra (I did go up that climb... twice), , circled around the guard shack at the top. The guy was going to come out and chase me off. I just laughed at him. There are some that would benefit cyclists if they were allowed access, because it can be dangerous trying to get anywhere.
To circumvent 111 (which I never went on), I accessed a "trail" near where I was staying. It was nearly dirt (chunks of asphalt) cordoned off by a fence, and flooded in parts, bumpy in others. It also traced a golf course, where you could possibly get hit by an errant shot. It eventually led it's way to Golf Club dr (from Cath Cyn) I went the other way home. (DS, DP) Faster, though more dangerous. That'll be the only time I take that path. I think it was put there in the 60s. Maybe, one way to allow some sort of access other than the main roads.
​​​

Going to Palm Springs from Cat City is always a challenge. We typically stay off Dinah Shore other than early on a weekend (the bridge is edgy). For your next visit, use Da Vall north to 30th Ave then turn right at Landau Blvd to Vista Chino (this portion of Vista Chino is less than ideal but was paved about 2 years ago and has a wide bike lane all they was to the wash). Left at Vista Chino and then Via Escuela to Caballeros into the downtown area. See here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32086331

Another option is turn right on Caballeros instead of left and go north to E San Rafael make a left and that will take you right to Tramway Road for a nice climb.