Old 02-16-21, 09:18 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
50 here. Have a triple crank bike and will never get rid of it. I often used the full range of gears. Lotsa hills where I live.

When I got my bike over a decade ago there was a choice between the triple or compact crank. For a while I was regretting the decision of the triple due to the "coolness" factor. Now I'm soooooooo grateful I picked the triple. In fact, I upgraded the cassette for more low and high range gears and its perfect (11-28 cassette 50/39/30 chainring changed from 12-27 cassette) I love being able to switch the chainring to make large jumps (like coming down a hill and immediately climbing another).

I think the 1X chainring thing is interesting but you will always get more range with more chainrings. Besides, I'm not convinced the 1x approach is a great tradeoff of weight from the bottom bracket to the back wheel. I do like the move to simplicity though.