View Single Post
Old 02-25-21, 02:25 PM
dmeans2anend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
one other point to take into consideration---have the attitude like I had when I got my first one, buy one, try it for a while (but do be sure to do all the adjustment stuff properly to give it a chance, and wear good padded bike shorts) and if in the end its just not working and or you find another that works much better--you'll be able to sell a lightly used Brooks fairly easily.
Heck, Ive bought three of mine used, and one C17 too. I just used judgement looking them over for how much use they'd had (obvious leather look and feel, was everything even and not lopsided, and that adjustment bolt was barely touched.

I really want to tryout a Brooks Saddle for touring because I would love to ditch wearing cycling shorts if possible but I haven't been able to get myself to pull the trigger on such an expensive item without knowing for sure that it will workout ($120 to $170). Therefore, I've been thinking of buying a used Brooks or similar leather saddle to test out before another tour. Thanks for the tip on what to look out for in buying a used Brooks saddle.

I've scoured Amazon, CGOAB, and other reviews for the 'female' perspective but I have never really found all that many. Most of the female comments are from someone of larger size and weight. I'm 5'-3" and 107 - 110 lbs and not curvy. For example, when I purchased my current saddle, Selle Italia Women's Gel Diva Superflow, I went to Amazon and read much of the positive female comments. Several comments were from someone of my size and weight which gave me the confidence to make the investment for my road bike. I know it all depends on the sitbone but I figured base on similar size the sitbone can't be all that different or can it? It worked so well that I ended buying the same Selle saddle for my touring bike. The Selle is mostly comfortable and light for touring but I find after 50+ miles or so, I get pretty sore down there. The problem with the Selle saddle is that it tends to wear out and I also have to wear bike shorts when I tour.

If I buy an used Brooks:

1) Should I wear bike shorts when I am breaking it in or will that lead to not getting the shape I need when I'm touring without bike shorts?
2) If my current saddle, the Selle, has cutouts. It is a better idea to buy a Brooks with cutouts as well or go with the standard B17?
3) When I wrote to Brooks to inquire, they recommended a Brooks Cambium C17 for my trip on the Pacific Coast. However, since I didn't have much time to break one in, I simply rode with the Selle saddle which worked out fairly well as long as I wore cycling shorts. In any case, the C17 would also require bike shorts so it defeated the purpose of going to Brooks.
4) Also, the geometry of my touring bike is a converted cyclocross bike so it is not as upright as a typical touring bike which may make a difference to saddle selection.
5) With the Brooks, after 50 miles or so, do you get sore too. Maybe it is just typical with long miles and no saddle will make any difference?

Lastly, I would so love to pick the brain of that rare petite female that has experience with Brooks saddle and loves it and ride without bike shorts!!!

Last edited by dmeans2anend; 02-25-21 at 02:33 PM.