Old 07-01-11, 09:41 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
Just wondering. The reason I ask is I live in a rural area in relatively close proximity to a large urban area.
When I stay home and ride, nearly all my riding is on rural roads except for the short periods when I'm in town. The only other type of riding I do around home is on gravel mainenance paths along the river or in the nearby wildlife refuges. By far most of my local riding is on 2 lane country roads.
When I go to the city, which is fairly often, almost all my riding is on some type of bike path or mup.
This is kind of a dumb question/post, but do they make paths in urban areas in order to try and segregate bike traffic from vehicular traffic?
If you live in a highly populated area, is most of your riding on paths?
Personally, I avoid riding in traffic as much as possible.
I've ridden on empty rural roads, MUPs, heavy urban traffic, bike lanes, bike trails, etc. I would say my preference is a low traffic PAVED rural road, heavy urban traffic, an unpaved rural road, bike lane, bike trail, MUP. Yes I would prefer to take my road bike down a washboard rural gravel road, then on a MUP. MUPs are loaded with frustration, mostly in the form of meat pylons that you need to slalom around at .2 MPH because they are either too selfish or too stupid to be considerate of other path users, and step off the trail to yap.