View Single Post
Old 08-17-19, 08:09 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by sfh
I get it. I just posted in another thread . . . I feel like I can quickly tell when I enter a shop if it's shaping up to be a good experience or a bad one.

I used to be in the golf equipment business. Started fitting and building clubs in very small numbers . . . some medium-pricey stuff too. I briefly tried expanding the product line to attract more customers, but I quickly learned that I don't have what it takes to deal in-person with retail customers. Since that experience, I'm much more understanding of how I get treated in a place like a bike shop. If I'm not comfortable with the people or the place, I politely take my business elsewhere.
It's sad to me because I had a good experience the first time when I actually did go in to buy a bike. I did buy a used bike cheap because I thought I needed to ride enough to know what I wanted before dropping $1000 or even $3000 on a new bike. That first time I was so green I didn't know one spec from another or what I wanted. They about sold me on the DS 2 for $700 or $1100 all decked out.

I picked up an 820 Trek off Marketplace for $100 and rode it a couple hundred miles getting in shape before I figured out it was too small. My wife wanted to ride and she liked that bike and wouldn't even consider trying anything else. She could stand over the bar and it seems to fit her well enough at this stage. At that point I bought the 2017 Marlin 5 for $200 locally.

Long story but the point I was getting to is that I do this with every major purchase. I will buy another bike eventually in the $3K range,or so it seems for what I want now,but in the beginning I would have wasted my money on that DS 2. I am much more fit now and ride a lot harder.

Those guys lost a good potential customer because the 20 something dude didn't even talk like a person, but like he was reading from the script he had been taught on how to sale something someone doesn't really need. LOl. I'm 51 and have dealt with this used car salesman type many times.