Old 01-30-20, 09:44 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by t1k
I agree that pure paraffin doesn't work in extreme cold. But what if it's mixed with some thinner oils? The mix, that I made a few days ago, worked in temperatures down to -15C (0 F) quite well.
Why do you think that wax doesn't work well under heavy load (I assume that you mean high torque here)? I'm just curious. I was never good at chemistry, but intuitively it feels that thicker wax will work better under high torque than thin lubes.

I've done a bit of research on the NSF lube. The application instructions make the impression that there's some magic involved. How does dropping 12 drops in random places on the chain make all the rollers lubricated?

I'm skeptical that this method will yield in a well lubricated chain. But I seen that all the people who tries this lube love it. So I might try it.

Where do you buy this lube? Looks like it's not that easy to find.
I tried wax once in the 1970s and once in the 1990s .The cleaning process is extreme. I was motivated and did the job very thoughly. Without an immaculately clean chain just no chance the wax will go where it can work. The cleaning uses enough solvent with enough opportunity for error it is just not something that should be done by large numbers of people. Let me point out here that paraffin, paraffin oil, all the solvents, are all petroleum products. Waxes are a simple chemical and occur naturally in all sorts of biological forms. What you buy at the store came from an oil well. Few will or even could use beeswax. Otherwise waxing chains is needlessly bad for environment.

No, wax does not last long. If you buy the race chain it is good for one 40k TT. A few track events. Lower power riders can get more miles. I didn't. The squeak alone is enough to deter any further experiments.

NFS is online only. From the maker or from Silca or from Richard Sachs. Put 12 drops on chain. Ride one mile and it is distributed over whole chain. At that point your chain is running smoother and quieter than you have ever experienced. A one mile trial and you will not go back.

Downside? You are going to bore your friends talking about chain lube and none of them will believe you. If your chain was previously waxed oil is not going to work. When first applied the NFS will attach to metal and drive off the old oil. You will need to keep wiping off the old oil after your ride a good while before it is all gone.