Old 07-07-18, 10:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Why bamboo? I would stick with a good quality steel frame personally.

I would also probably not go Hydraulic for touring but if I were to do so I would probably go with XT or something of that quality so I have better piece of mind but if you use quality parts (levers, cables, housing and rotor/pads) with the TRP Spyres you will be just fine.

I am currently running TRP Spyres with Jagwire Elite Link cables and housing (though needed to go tandem for my rear brake simply because I have road levers and the road cables aren't designed for placement of disc brakes on a touring frame) and because the actual inner lining is quite lightweight you could take extra for when you need to replace and find a slick stainless cable and be OK if you needed to replace in another country. Since my bike is drop bar I went with the Gevenalle levers but honestly I wish they made them with the SRAM drop bar levers which have a more ergo profile. However it seems like you might be doing a flat bar build.

If you go with the TRP Spykes you can use the Avid Speed Dial 7 levers which I use for V-brakes (Shimano Deore) on my hybrid and like them. I dislike ScRAMs brakes but their levers are usually quite nice. If using Spyres I would use Paul canti levers which are short pull compatible and super high quality. Another reason for TRP Spyres is they also use a Shimano pad that is generally more easily available which is a nice thing.

I wouldn't go rim brakes but if I had too I would probably go Paul MotoLites or XT V-Brakes (again with high quality other parts** but I wouldn't want to mix and match brake styles and I like discs a little better touring.