Old 10-16-18, 09:49 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hermanchauw

Let me share my set up.

Stainless steel touring front rack plus 2x 22L waste sorting boxes from IKEA.

Effective volume more than 50L.

Thank you, the attachment using these straps is a neat approach!

Originally Posted by Philphine
just throwing out ideas without looking at the bike.

i wonder if you could stack milk crates as you need them for more storage. i think the plastic ones stack don't they? maybe hinge a couple so one would be the cover for the other. or use two like panniers and mount them at a level where you could stack a second pair over them, and maybe even wide enough apart that a third could added to the second level, like storage legos.
I think stacking would be an issue, because it would make the bike quite unstable with such high off the ground loads. But along very similar lines, yours and hermanchauw's comments got me to an idea (thank you, this is why I love this forum !! )
I could just get 3 milk crates. The center one is mounted the way it is right now (on top of the rack). And then I'll build a mounting system so that the other two milk crates can be on the sides of the rack underneath the center milk crate. I'm thinking of using some aluminum L-bars across the rack with two hooks pointing downwards on each side. These hooks can then hook into counterparts near the side-milk crate center. This way, I can unhook the side milk crates when not needed (most of the time) and also keep my removable mounting system for the center milk crate.

I just need to figure out tonight, if this will induce heel-strikes.