View Single Post
Old 04-12-21, 06:47 PM
Celeste Mike

Bikes: '88 Cannondale ST400, '89 Bianchi Incline, ’88 Bianchi Limited, '87 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
Those were really fast and handled fantastic back in the day. It's still a capable MTB. I raced on a factory DBR (Diamondback Racing) and the DBR had a flexy rear triangle, but the Stumpjumper handled with more precision.

It's a real shame that those semi-vintage MTB's have faded out. I don't know if the vintage MTB collector crowd is after those.
I wondered, thanks for commenting! I'm not a mountain biker and I thought this bike might be a good entry into it, but I just haven't done it yet. I'm just more of a road bike guy. The frame is very interesting, it's very light and stiff. The whole bike only weighs 26 lbs.

Originally Posted by bikemig
Not a knock on the bike but I think most vintage MTB collectors like the rigid bikes better. And if you're looking for an offroad bike, this is an area where the technology has moved on.
I wish it were a rigid Stumpjumper too, but I just kind of lucked into this one. 😄
Originally Posted by Clang
I don't think this Stumpy is a good bikepacking conversion candidate. As a XC race bike, it doesn't have many braze-ons for racks, fenders, etc. If I were you I'd find a rigid mtb from the late 80's to early -mid 90's as a base. The mid-range bikes will have braze-ons the high-end race bikes won't. If you size up on the frame you'll have more room for possible frame bags too.
I hear you. My plan is to put a Surly Troll fork on it to make up for the lack of braze-ons. 😄 I figure I'll front-load it, add a frame bag (found a cheap one on Amazon that's a perfect fit) and a seat pack. Its geometry isn't too different from that of a Surly Troll, only with a more aggressive stack. I just wanna do somethin fun with it rather than just sell it, and I wanna try a setup that's different from my road tourer with its skinny tires, front/rear racks/panniers and handlebar bag.

I'm also rebuilding an '86 Schwinn High Sierra, so I do have the proper bikepacking candidate of which you speak as well. 😁 (Yes, I'm hoping to do a lot of bike camping this summer. 😄 )