View Single Post
Old 12-10-04, 08:22 AM
FtLaudCycler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark Arrow
In my area (Wisconsin) in the late 80's early nineties there was a TV Superstore (American TV) that gave away bikes when you bought a TV. The name I'll never forget was Firenze. I worked in a bike shop at the tiime and we got ton's (literally they are heavy) of these pieces of Hi-Ten crap. The thiinnest easily bent rims I've ever seen, shoddy welding, and mouse trap compnents. Most of these were red with yellow lettering. I do remember some yellow and blue as well with flourescent cables. Now there maybe some other bike out there with the Firenze name and as a matter of fact I think I saw a MTB in this month's Bicycling (or at least one of the mags I got this month) with that name the other day and was repulsed lol.

What was the groupo on the bike you had? If it was anything halfway decent it's not one of the bikes I'm thinking of. Was it indexed? Even now I shudder at the thought of seeing one of those again. To work on one was a shear pain. HAHAHA

Chris
My sister had this same bike (Firenze GL-2000, 12-Speed Touring) in her garage in Williston Park, Long Island and was throwing it out when I volunteered to prolong the bike's existence. I have since moved to Fort Lauderdale. Appears the reviews on this thread for this bike is that it is a piece of crap. Yes, I'm a cycling novice, but I find this bike rides great and is very fast, though the gear changing can be smoother. Also, I had to adjust the brake caliper because it appears the rims are bent. I should replace them.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that after reading this thread, I looked closer to a sticker on the bike and it reads:

FIRENZE BICYCLES
Made in Taiwan for
DIVERSIFIED INVESTMENTS CORPORATION
MADISON WISCONSIN

Now I know the history of the bike. From Taiwan to Wisconsin to Long Island to Florida. Nice job DarkArrow. Good memory.