View Single Post
Old 09-17-15, 11:58 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm going to disagree with the consensus here. Pedalling at a higher cadence will not, of itself, make you faster. In fact, pedalling faster for a given speed actually consumes more energy, simply because there is an energy cost to moving your legs faster.

What it MIGHT do is improve your endurance, because it reduces the load on your muscles per pedal stroke and your legs may get less fatigued. But it will do that at the cost of a higher HR. That doesn't matter if you're fit enough to sustain it.

Those who advise a higher cadence aren't mistaken, but they often mistake cause for effect. Pro cyclists aren't fast because they have a high cadence - they can employ a high cadence because they are already fit enough to be fast. And interestingly, lots of the best time-triallists compete at cadences of around 75-80 rather than the 90-95 that is often recommended.

none of this is meant to discourage you from working on increasing your cadence, it's probably a good thing to do if you're currently pedalling at 60rpm. But it isn't a panacea, and actually you'll probably find your preferred cadence rising naturally as your aerobic fitness improves.

(Disclaimer: I'm a mere stripling of 60, so what do I know?)