View Single Post
Old 11-18-19, 09:51 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 2,239 Posts
Originally Posted by ToniH.
Thanks for taking time to look into this. I measured my curren't bikes, also the miyata, and they all have 52 top tubes. Seems that the singer would just have more box like geometry. Its definitely bit too high for me at least in modern standards. But then again I would like to get the stem bit more higher on my other bikes and this would solve the issue of using really high stems... Its annoyingly close to what would be optimal. When I look pictures of vintage Herses and like, they all seem to show just a bit of seat post, not even the fistful but even less, and that's how this bike would be if set up for my dimensions.
I'm one of those people who believes there is no 'one perfect position' for riding a bike.
I own and ride bikes from 58 - 63cm, with top tubes ranging from less than 57 to more than 59cm. And yes, saddle setback and stem lengths vary.

IMHO, primary determinates of the range of sizes one can ride are flexibility (back and upper body) and core strength (can you support a forward leaning position without pressure on hands/wrists).

But all long-time riders have their personal preferences (more than hard requirements) for how we like our cockpit set-up. Even tho' i'm 6'1" with a 'wing span' of 6'3", my preference is for narrow handlebars - 38cm preferably and not over 40 (charts say i should use 44cm bars).

Fit is a finicky subject.