View Single Post
Old 09-08-20, 01:21 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked 834 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky Mushman
I am trying to optimize the bike geometry which is a continual process., so for someone like myself that averages say 30 miles a day for the past 30 years a mm here or there really makes a difference over time.

There isn't one particular problem or issue to fix and my setup is good, I have maybe made 200 adjustments on this bike with a few weeks between each to get it correct for me. However as I age with my current setup I have to deal with an inseam change and of course a back shortening. Changes around the neck are also something I have and will deal with. Of course changing one thing changes others and a greater seat setback would be a useful point of experimentation.

Currently I am using a LHT frame. The top tube length seems good, If I could I would reduce the standover height though. While not being confused I find the steering tube length a fantastic point of adjustment and it is unfortunate that so many bikes cater to an aggressive riding position or at least don't give you the option of cutting the fork. I guess the seat position I am experimenting with has to do with the knee angle, and I in a while I may get a different crank length as I want to go to a square taper anyway. The fork on my lht was cut so I might by a new uncut fork to raise the handlebars, and seat and therefore get around my layback issue.

Steering tube extenders are out for me as I had a bike thrown off the roof of a bus in Kyrgyzstan and the one I had on was the only point of failure.
I also have a LHT, and still have not cut the steerer tube. I agree that buying a new fork is the cleanest way to raise the bars.

This is my touring bike that I built up 10 years ago using a LHT frame. I planned on cutting the steerer tube once I got everything dialed in, but it is still that way. It actually came in handy earlier this year when I dumped my bike on the ice and tore 3 major shoulder tendons. I raised the the bars to the full height of the steerer tube to give me a more upright riding position, taking some of the pressure off my shoulder. I see the surgeon early next month.
Correction: I did cut the steerer tube last year when I was cutting one for my daughter's LHT. I left 1 cm. above the stem.

What saddle are you using? I used a VO 30 mm setback seatpost with a Brooks B17 saddle, and it worked OK. There was not much adjustment due to the short rails of the B17. I'm getting ready to put a Sella Anatomica on a different bike, and may need the VO's setback.

My daughter rode her LHT until she had it dialed in. It took her 3 years, but we still left a little above the stem, just in case. The blue one is our other daughter's LHT. They are hitched to secure spot on a ferry with their "ferry straps", and have their "parking brakes" on.

After cutting, the black spacer is supposed to be above the stem, but she assembled her own bike at the airport

Last edited by Doug64; 09-15-20 at 11:36 AM.