3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26416 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
To be honest, I don't know what percentage of homeless have taken to riding, mainly because I rarely go near where the majority of homeless hang out in Peoria. What I have seen is a tremendous rise in gas powered bikes in East Peoria ridden primarily what appears to be about one step above homeless. I see a lot of those and they are sort of scary. The cheap motors are attached to barely rideable yard sale bikes that were junk when they were first sold. Then add a derelict individual, DUI recipient or a slightly off-kilter mentally person and it would seem to be a recipe for disaster. So far, most that I've seen have been following road rules and staying off of the trails but I have seen a couple take to sidewalks for short distances to bypass traffic.
...also a big increase in those here. I think they do this to have a mini motorcycle without the inconveniences and expense of registration, and I see them in the aforementioned already inadequate bike lanes all the time. But I guess DUI is also a reasonable basis. There's a shop over in Midtown doing and selling these conversions. The upside is that I think they are so janky that they will be impossible to keep on the road very long.