FLO Cycling
User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blaronn
+1

I don't think anyone contests the claims that wider rims = wider contact patch. What I'm curious about is whether wider contact patch = decreased rolling resistance, *and* by how much. Chris, it sounds like you just know (through education or experience) that this would lead to lower Crr and you might be assuming that we know it too. Can you share any non-subjective sources that would enlighten those of us who don't know it?

Also, any idea how to quantify the significance of widening the contact patch by .32mm (80psi) or .16mm (120psi) on Crr? Those numbers *seem* very insignificant to me but without objective data/knowledge/experience to back that up it's just a guess. It sounds like you have the data/knowledge/experience to back it up but may take for granted that we do as well.

By the way, thanks for running those tests and compiling it in the blog. Very informative.
The numbers are certainly small. See my post above. Perhaps we can find a place to do an actual rolling resistance test.