Old 08-12-19, 07:19 AM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by McNamara
A question for anyone: what rep ranges have you found to be most effective during the off season? I typically read that low rep/high weight schemes are most effective for developing maximal strength while hypertrophy is best served by using slightly less weight and higher reps.

At the moment I'm using sets of 3x5 (squat) and 1x5 (deadlift) twice a week, aiming to increase strength primarily. I use enough weight so that the last rep is difficult to finish but I don't go to failure. I will likely back off the loads around October/November depending on how things are going and as my cycling base miles start to increase. I've been lifting on and off for over twenty years but I have rarely had a consistent leg training plan. The end goal is an increase in my sprint performance next season.
I've been doing gym sessions twice a week since I created this thread. So far so good. I do a mixture of high reps and then high weight. For example, I start on the bench press at 95 lbs to warm up and do 20 reps. Then I do 145 lbs and do 12 reps, then I go to 165lbs and do 8 reps, then 175lbs and do 6 reps. Then I go back to 145lbs and do 10 more reps, then back to 95lbs and I go 12 reps. On leg press for example, I start at a low weight, 160lbs and do 20-25 reps. Then I do two sets of 10-12 reps at 160lbs using only one leg and I alternate legs, hitting each leg twice. Then I go to 240lbs both legs and do 12 reps, then I do 400lbs both legs 8 reps, then drop it back down to 160-200lbs and do 20 more reps.

I take a similar approach each muscle group. So far it seems to be working pretty well for me. My goal isn't to just put on mass but to get stronger and in better overall shape and hopefully improve my top-end power on the bike, which I sorely lack.