Old 09-04-20, 07:44 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
What size tires? I have a set of wheels for which mounting a 23 mm tire is an ever-loving pain, but the 25s go on without too much trouble. Another reason to go to 25s.

Also, for combos that are a challenge and I'm gonna use a tire lever, I finish right at the valve, with the valve screw tight to keep the tube out of the way. Cuts way down on accidental tube punctures from tire lever pinch.

I'm not one of those heroes who can mount any tire with my hands. Not me. That koolstop tire jack can help, but it's not magic. If the fit is really tight, you can just end up breaking the jack. Ask me how I know.

They are 25mm but still they were super tight, like not a millimeter space available like tight. Jack is something to have in the toolbox I guess. I'll see how it works next time I try to fit new tires.

Originally Posted by masi61
I’ll just add 2 minor tricks that have worked for me: 1) use flat tire levers such as Schwalbe’s and use all 3, levering 2 in close proximity with the back of your hand the wedging the 3rd in where you can. The middle of the 3 always falls to the floor then which is OK but not dropping the other 2 without having them snap back or pinch a tube takes practice but is entirely doable.
2) Save your thumbs and hands by wearing snug fitting work gloves to roll that last bit of stubborn unmounted bead up and over.
Are you doing an open heart surgery or fitting a tire? )))) Thanks for the tip. I have these yellow Pedro's levers but will def grab a few of Schwalbe levers. Btw, I used a pair of dish cleaning gloves that fits pretty tight and that def helped a little in the end!

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Yes, you should have started fitting the tire from directly opposite the valve, and then finished at the valve. The way I was taught, and what has worked for me for years, is to finish at the valve. That way, you can use the valve to manipulate the tube and make sure it is not under the tire bead, nor will it be dragged over the sidewall should you need to use a tire lever. It also helps to make absolutely sure that the first tire bead is seated in the direct center of the rim before you install the tube.

I've also heard a lot of people swear by bead jacks, but I have never tried one. I've never seen a bead jack that looked like it could be effective AND fit conveniently in a saddle bag or jersey pocket, so I will probably never buy one either.
Bead jack is just plan B, or maybe plan A if it makes the whole process even a few mins faster. But you are right that thing is super bulky for saddle bag or jersey pocket. Maybe I should just tape it on the tip tube haha.

Re where to start fitting the tire, I think you may be right. There's def more room around the valve area and pulling the valve while fitting the last section to avid pinch flats is the safer approach.

Thanks all!