View Single Post
Old 09-23-20, 02:18 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Some web research suggest the culprit and a possible fix. Thought I'd quote it hear for posterity.

There's a "starved joint" somewhere that makes a ticking or scratching noise every rotation as the tire is pushed against the rim under load and separates from it when not under load. Super common, super annoying problem typically caused by a less than perfect glue job.

It's happened to me numerous times and I've found that you can locate it by taking the wheel and slowly walking it along a floor putting your weight on it from the top until you hear the noise. When you do, examine the tire/rim very closely and you'll likely find the problem area into which you can inject some Mastik using an old spoke, the end of a zip tie, anything like that. Let it harden up for 10-15 minutes until it forms cheese strings when you press the tire against the rim in the subject area. Then, fully inflate. This has always solved the problem for me and it's where I'd suggest you start.

...I can't explain why it's happening with multiple tires but this leads me to believe you may have too much glue build-up on the rim and it's causing the tire to not sit well in one place.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...ic.php?t=74160
Problem resolved. I tried the easy option first to inject a little Mastik in the trouble spots with the end of a zip tie and it worked like a charm. I've since ridden the bike with this wheelset to work a few times for trial runs and on a 150 mile weekend charity ride without any issues.