genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
I suspect sidewalk riding, if over the age of 13 or so, is illegal in most cities and suburbs in California. I haven't done a survey, but it's true for my town and true for San Francisco.

There are very good reasons for a bias against cycling in pedestrian spaces, and I'll just leave it at that. Frankly, I am against "protected" bike lanes as well, I'll take my chances with the grown-ups.
And yet sidepath/MUP riding is QUITE legal... especially in places like Davis, or the San Diego boardwalk or Ventura boardwalk, just as it is quite legal to ride a bicycle on the Interstate, in selected areas.

But bottom line, I was citing Florida and Arizona for examples.

California still largely believes in paint as a magic solution. Although I do notice that "buffer lanes" are appearing in a variety of locations... as well as the "cyclist may use full lane" sign... of course neither offer any sort of physical barrier... unless paint has new heretofore unheard of properties.

Of course, in a perfect world, all this would be academic and motorists would unequivocally share the road with us as equals. (and pigs will fly)