View Single Post
Old 08-30-14, 12:32 PM
dual650c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The possibilities are endless.
- Play "mind games" like Sudoku, Scrabble, chess, etc. either alone or with others. Personally, I like the interaction with others most of the time (but I also really value alone time).
- Engage in "pen pal" type activities online. This can be combined with 2nd language learning practice on forums, web sites and chatrooms. I've become semi-conversational in 3 new languages, only 1 of which I actually knew when I was younger. As said above, international news/publications (especially when written for a non-English speaking audience) provide a different perspective on the world.
- Listen to music. Why does your grandchild like this or that new artist? If you've never heard Dvorak/Rimsky-Korsakov/bagpipe music, give it a listen (do a search on youtube). It may not be for everybody but what is? (I found it interesting to hear familiar pieces played solo on instruments that I'd never have associated with particular pieces.)
- Take up a new hobby. Research it online, at the library, or participate in a group setting.
- Go to a museum - do some research on the exhibits there, the artist/inventor/event. Create a "virtual bike tour" where you use Google maps (or something similar) to see places related to whatever turned you on (ex., plot a bike tour from home to Monticello if you saw an exhibit mentioning Thomas Jefferson)

I find I don't have enough time to do it all - there are too many things I want to do before my last ride.

Last edited by dual650c; 08-30-14 at 12:35 PM.