View Single Post
Old 07-04-19, 07:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I'm visiting some family in the midwest and hoping to ride a quick flat century. I've done a couple hilly PNW metrics on geared bikes, so I'm confidant a fixed 100 isn't going to be too bad. My biggest concern going in is I'm not accustomed to 90F temps that are expected. I'm guessing I'll set a hydration alarm for every 20minutes or so.

Any other advice.
The ultimate test of setup (fit). Maybe carry 3 water bottles. (I often run a third under the downtube. Yes I have to stop to swap it, but it has bailed me out a few times. Or a camelback.

The midwest upwind on a fix gear is where you really see if your bike and position on it work. I set my bikes up to be comfortable for long periods of time with my hands in the drops. Yes, hands over the hoods is more aero and therefor faster and easier. But when you are tired and hit that thing you spaced and didn't see, the drops are a far safer place to be. And upwind on the fix gear is exactly where "tired and spaced" happen.

Probably too late now, but double sided rear wheels can be very nice. Use cogs one or two teeth apart. Going to a larger cog for that long upwind can be a godsend.

Ben (with more than a few fixed gear centuries under his belt)
Likes For 79pmooney: