Old 08-12-19, 04:17 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Anyone else feel this way on their weekend rides?
Originally Posted by davei1980
after commuting year round for several years, I feel like my friends can’t keep up with me, but I get dropped easily during the local group rides out of the nearby LBS. weird spot to be for sure
Originally Posted by caloso
You plateau in the mushy middle if you always ride the same intensity, which is easy to do on the commute.
Originally Posted by davei1980
^ nailed it.

Full disclosure: I don’t care about being fast I just wanna have fun on my weekend rides lol!

thinking of buying a trainer....
Originally Posted by nomadmax
What he said ^^^^. It's the speed/intensity surges that are getting you. Some interval training and a little pack savvy (where to be protected) will have you yucking it up on Saturday mornings in no time.
See this thread, “Commuting as Training.”
Originally Posted by caloso
I literally started commuting because I was training for a triathlon. I was frustrated because I was blowing off a lot of my bike workouts that I had scheduled for the evening. I'd ride the bus home and sit on the couch and never make it back outside.

I had this genius idea that if I had my bike with me at the end of the work day I'd be forced to ride it and I might as well do the workout I had planned.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I'm fortunate to be a daily year-round cycling commuter early in the morning, with a pleasant, minimal one-way distance of 14 miles, easily lengthened during the nice weather. My commute is really my only chance to train.

I had long rejected the idea of intervals because getting on the Road early is a challenge itself, and I didn't want to lose my enthusiasm by punishing myself too much....

Intervals on the road during a defined commute are more variable than what one can do on a trainer. I have quickly learned that I must watch out for traffic and not pay too much attention to the stopwatch on my cycle computer. Sometimes the stopwatch times out during an interval and I have to reset.

Often the terrain is out of synch with the interval, e.g. downhills on the intensity interval, uphill on the rest interval, with stoplights interspersed.

As mentioned above I just use “Rating of Perceived Exertion” (RPE) as my monitor (see subsequent post)…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-16-19 at 02:24 AM. Reason: added quote by nomadmax