Old 09-03-19, 11:18 AM
Raptor1956

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Skullo
Jordan River trail is famous for goatheads . I use tire liners and no more goathead flats.I stay away from SLC part of the trail. Legacy trail is smoother ,straighter and safer.The Saltair ride , airport to Great Salt Lake Marina is pankake flat about 30 miles out and back. Very low traffic and great for personal time trails A lot of it has been resurfaced the last few years. The new prison and the proposed Inland Port might ruin it in the future though.Good luck.

I do the Saltair ride about 40% of the time but haven't done the Legacy trail -- I'll have to give that one a shot.

The Jordan River route is convenient for me as my apartment lies along it so it's easy to get to. A couple weeks ago I was riding on the Jordan River trail and was nearing the midway point of the ride where I planed to stop for a few minutes (neck issues) but a couple minutes out I started hearing a tick-tick-tick sound on the front wheel that I put down to the brakes rubbing a bit and figured to give it a look when I stopped. So I stopped as planned and after resting for a few minutes I gave the bike a once over before getting bak on and it was then that I noticed some form of plant material had poked though the tire and the tire was dead flat. I was just over a mile from home and with only my cycling shoes I decided to take them off and walk barefoot pushing the bike -- big mistake. I got about 3/4 of the way home when I began to feel like something was sticking to the bottom of my feet and when I look both feet were severely blistered. The balls of my feet now have a patch of skin missing about 30 x 40mm and 25x35mm -- that kept my off the bike for 5 days and, two weeks later, they're both still healing and a bit sensitive.

The last time I checked my weight, which I tend to do in the morning, I was at 97.15kg so I'm down now about 8.25kg or about 18 pounds in 2.5 months.

I also raised my saddle about 14mm as it was a little low with too much knee bend at full extension but I left it that way for the first few months to reduce the strain on my neck and now that I've raised the saddle the neck issue has come back though not as bad as it was when I first got back on the bike a couple months ago. Going back a couple months my hands stayed on the top most of the time and only moving to the hoods when I was braking or needed to maneuver, but I'm now riding mostly on the hoods. I have yet to get into the drops -- that is still a ways off I'm afraid.

Brian