Old 02-17-17, 01:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
The Townie is a much more relaxed bike, perfect for flat terrain. You can put your feet flat on the ground without leaving the saddle. But any hill climbs or long inclines will feel like serious work.

On the other hand, a fellow I occasionally ride with just turned 69, 10 years older than me, and he has no trouble with longer rides and moderate hills on his Townie. He dresses his up for the holidays, and keeps it lighted and decorated for Halloween through Christmas. No trouble with our group ride pace of 12-14 mph. But he's stronger and fitter than many folks his age, probably in better shape than I am!

The Specialized Roll isn't quite as relaxed, more of a cross between a comfort hybrid and a mountain bike. You may be able to put one foot down while seated (be careful with this on slick pavement). It should be fine for moderate hill climbs.

I often ride my similarly designed Globe Carmel on 20 mile rides, including moderate hills, and find it very comfortable and enjoyable. In fact I've been riding it exclusively the past couple of weeks after a crash at the beginning of February. Banged up my ribs pretty badly and the rigid fork mountain bike I was riding isn't comfortable for now. The relaxed Globe bike is perfect for staying in shape while gradually recovering from that injury. And I adjusted the handlebars a bit higher than usual for now. I rode it 20 miles Thursday evening, including a stop for groceries at the halfway point. I usually average about 12 mph on it, but was a slower 10.5 mph this week due to the injury -- I'm trying to avoid straining the rib muscles.