Old 08-04-19, 11:27 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Your definition of “on/off” and “modulation” are very different from mine. I find hydraulic brakes to be an on and off affair. Being able to apply “just a little brake” using hydraulics is next to impossible in my experience. I’ve never experienced an inability to add just a little friction using rim brakes (or mechanical discs for that matter). Hydraulics I’ve used are always grabby and I have use much more care when applying them.
It's hard to judge the ability of a disc brake system just by pulling the level while completely stopped. I have several bikes with hydraulic disc brakes and since I weigh over 200lbs I am sensitive to the braking ability needed to slow my fat ass down. They all work pretty well but have different abilities to modulate the brake effort. I certainly won't be going back to rim brakes unless I build up a retro MTB frame I have.

I have some cheap Tektro 285s on a hybrid, they definitely have more of an on/off feel to them. The Sram Force with Hope RX4 4 piston calipers have a fair amount of modulation but have a firm feel to the levers and as such require more effort to stop quickly. My Ultegra/Dura Ace brakes are pretty darn good at modulating the brake force and have a very linear feel to them while stopping. And finally I have a set of Shimano Zee 4 piston brakes on my MTB. These are by far the best brakes I have used. The power and modulation of these brakes are phenomenal even using just 1 finger. YMMV.

If you are coming from a well sorted rim brake set up you may need to look around and try some different brands to see what you like. I much prefer the Shimano brakes with resin pads over any of the other brakes I use. Higher end brakes will have some ability to adjust the bite point of the brakes as well.

Last edited by Bryan C.; 08-04-19 at 11:35 AM.