I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
I think the point Liesesturm was making is that a lot of the financial risks and costs are borne by the underpaid drivers. How is the parent company, which functions to some degree as a middle man, losing so much money? What do they spend it on?
Uber expenses
"Cost of revenue: Uber’s biggest cost is cost of revenue, a category that includes insurance costs related to ride-hailing, incentives paid to drivers, and costs incurred with carriers for the Uber Freight trucking platform. In 2018, Uber spent $5.6 billion, or 50% of its revenue, on this category. Cost of revenue increased by $1.5 billion, or 35%, from 2017 to 2018, in part due to an increase in “excess driver incentives.” Uber describes these incentives as any amount paid to a driver that exceeds the revenue earned by that driver (for instance, if a driver’s earnings from a trip exceed the fare for that trip). Excess driver incentives jumped by about $300 million in 2018 from the previous year, largely due to Uber Eats.

Sales and marketing: While most driver promotions go into cost of revenue, rider discounts go into Uber’s next biggest expense, sales and marketing. In 2018, Uber spent $3.2 billion, or 28% of revenue, on this category, up $627 million or 25% from the previous year. The company attributed this increase to $1.4 billion in discounts, promotions, refunds, and credits for customers, up from $949 million in 2017. Uber also puts driver referral bonuses into sales and marketing, and reduced that expense to $136 million in 2018, from $199 million in 2017.

Research and development: A lesser but still significant expense for Uber is research and development, which includes the company’s efforts to develop self-driving cars through its Advanced Technologies Group. In 2018, Uber spent $1.5 billion on research and development, or 13% of revenue, up from $1.2 billion in 2017. Of that $1.5 billion, $457 million was spent on Uber’s autonomous vehicle research, up from $384 million 2017."
The bottom line is that Uber is giving away their product at prices that won't ever earn a profit (revenue > expenses); plus throwing money around at other money losing projects like scooter rentals and self driving car R&D because they can. Their operation has been subsidized from day one with cash showered on them from cash rich venture capitalists trying to get in on the Ponzi scheme.

Note that Uber hasn't earned a dime and probably never will from its autonomous vehicle research expenditures.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 01-16-20 at 02:59 PM.