View Single Post
Old 09-11-15, 08:12 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by sriley4290
so I am not even sure how to search for what I am asking so I am sorry if this is duplicated. i am looking for a website or app that will allow me to go to a map, and draw the route I want to take and it figure out the mileage for me. there is a new loop I am looking at riding, but I need to know how far the loop is to be able to account for time. I have heard of websites, but haven't found one yet. Does anyone know of a website or app like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
I follow a mileage based training schedule, and it’s hard to trace out routes on MapMyRide for example, with the crazy, haphazard web-like roadways around here. I have a very good, nicely scaled AAA paper roadmap of Metro Boston. Using my home as a center point I have drawn concentric arcs of 10, 20, and 30 miles around it, so I can estimate where to go to fullfill my mileage quota. Of course I can always just ride half the distance, then back the same route.

I did keep a spreadsheet of mileages amd routes as a reference to select routes. After years of riding, and with increased emphasis on speed than miles, I can usually sufficiently estimate the mileage on an intended route.