Old 12-24-15, 01:44 AM
Koogar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for gloves, I'd recommend full finger coverage and not to look for the thinnest - I've burned a hole through the palm of a new glove sliding down a wood track at low speed. The cause was my own carelessness, but the point is that good gloves are cheap insurance. There are people who wear motocross gloves at the track.

Also, consider wearing a base layer under your jersey when riding on the track, irrespective of the temperature - it can help protect skin in a fall. Crashes are generally not common, but they suck nonetheless.

One thing not to bring is too much confidence from any road or other riding experience. It's a very different game riding at high speed without brakes, in close proximity to others. Plus, everyone in an intro class will be predisposed to overreacting. The first time you try to draft another new rider too closely into turn 1 or 3 (i.e., going uphill) or successfully chase them down into those turns, can be be a pucker inducing experience as you close on them way faster than you had planned. Expect rubber banding in the pace line and space accordingly. Don't be afraid to move up track to slow down, when in a pace line. A lower gearing (e.g., below 80 inches) helps with pace control. You might feel frisky after sitting around listening to talking for what seems like a long time, but don't succumb to the temptation to go hard to compensate. I've made every one of these mistakes.

You probably won't be changing gears in a day 1 class, so not much else to bring. Maybe a set of Allen wrenches, just in case.

Have fun!