Old 08-09-19, 05:00 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Looking at the Steamroller on-line I saw that the single bottle cage mount is on the ST.
That's been the secondary position for cage mounts for decades, suitable for carrying a full bottle to swap w/ the empty on the primary DT position as required.
Forcing a FG rider to fight for a bottle between constantly moving legs instead of just reaching down and forward to an unimpeded DT for every sip is simply Bad Design in my opinion.
After a few hours of that in the TX heat I'd be fitting a clamped on cage on the DT and wondering about the competence of designers who make such a fundamentally wrong choice in what has been SOP on road bikes since H-bar cages went away in the '60's. Traditional hardware choices like where to mount a water bottle cage, what style of h-bars to ride for distance at pace on open public roads and a host of others have been well tested and proven over the last century of club riders getting out and putting in seat time on FG machines in a variety of terrain and weather. By now, what works is pretty well figured out.

No cage mounts on "track-likes"?
Of course not, protuberances are a hazard on the track and drinks are kept on the infield of the velodrome w/ all of the other gear & stuff.

-Bandera
Yeah I don't get it either. I've gotten used to it on my All-City though and reaching the bottle while riding is no problem. On especially hot days or when I'm doing long rides without planned water stops, I just ride my road bike. And I've heard tell that ST mounted bottles are actually more aero, so you can pretend it's a marginal gain.