View Single Post
Old 01-21-12, 05:41 AM
olly708

Bikes: ALAN alloy, Argos Reynolds 753, Tony Oliver Custom Reynolds/Columbus tourer, Raleigh Richmond (Reynolds 531), Raleigh Hustler all-steel roadster Raleigh Road Ace (531c)Raleigh Vitesse Carlton Corsair (531)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not taking it personally, not in the slightest. I'm only going on information provided by possibly the most respected UK frame builder, Mercian. I had them custom build me a frame 25 years ago, visited the factory and had a long chat with them about chroming. They advised me against it. Here's what they currently say about chroming:

653, 725 and 853 Frames
Please note that we can only chrome the dropouts on these frames. This is because the stays are too thin to be polished for chrome plating.

Granted these tubes are thinner and lighter than 531 and I've had a good few 531 frames in my time (I still have one). I had another custom frame built by Tony Oliver 18 years ago. He was a metallurgist before he started building frames and he refused to chrome plate any forks, seat stays or chain stays. Carlton made bikes in larger quantity, latterly owned by Raleigh before they closed the factory. Raleigh/Carlton were in the business of selling bikes in quantity (albeit they were hand built to a large extent), so, with respect, would have put cosmetics higher up their priority list than a smaller independent frame builder with a waiting list.

Chrome is very pretty, but it is porous - which brings me back to my original point. Great if you never ride in the rain, but neglect it at your peril.