View Single Post
Old 02-10-18, 03:31 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 282 Posts
1973 Colnago Super Project

This popped up on the "Are You Looking For..." thread. A week of somewhat sketchy back and forth emails later it was still there, and after a ~4 hour rainy round trip this morning with my very cool wife, it is now mine. 61 cm - so a perfect fit for me.

From the frame characteristics, it looks like a '73. No significant dents or wrinkles, and the fork is straight. Rear triangle is ~6mm out of alignment as measured at the seat tube, but nothing a competent frame shop can't straighten. RD is Pat 73, and arms are 172.5 (my size) w/no date and in nice shape. No dates on the front hub lock nuts - looks like somebody re-laced radially it to an 80's rim and the original dated lock nuts probably went then. FD is post '78. BB is in great shape and had aluminum crank bolts. Seatpost and stem are milled, and big ring drilliumed, but they don't look like factory work. Pedals are Superleggera (not SR). The brake levers are the early longer style with round cable holes.

As of now I just need to get the fixed cup and stem out. Both are soaking. Here is the as-found pic from the ad. I'll post more progress pics as it goes. I'm very glad it ended up being worth the trip.