Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
or bad bike choice.

We got 15 cm of snow yesterday that caught everyone off guard, especially drivers. Many people were scrambling to get their snow tires on and were unsuccessful. I saw lots of drivers on the commute home spinning their wheels and struggling to get up the slightest of grades, gridlock at every intersection, cars strewn in all manner of orientation and directions, especially around the highway overpass. So, there's bad weather all right. I had the right bike, and I rode right past all of them, smiling as I went.

In weather like this the roads don't get plowed on time, especially the side roads that I take. I spent most of my time on the sidewalk today where it was mostly plowed. Riding on compacted snow on the road is a dicey business, even with studded tires. Add to that drivers driving like it's still July, and you've got a good recipe for disaster.

Good on the Danes for having the infrastructure that accommodates and encourages people to ride their bikes in any weather. That kind of cycling-centric thinking is never, ever going to happen here.
I am glad I took my bike instead of driving. I rode my fixed gear bike with skinny aggressive cx tires, and had no problem getting through all that snow and slush. It was a fun commute for sure.