Old 11-20-19, 07:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
"There's no such thing as bad weather"
Originally Posted by Buglady
Dunno about that "no bad weather" thing, at least in Calgary... it's currently puking down snow that is melting and then refreezing into a spectacularly disgusting and difficult to navigate mess.

I'm taking the train home...
I have previously posted to this thread: “Overcoming fear of riding in the cold"
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
On the other hand,
Originally Posted by StephenH
"When does Hardcore become Stupid?"

Hardcore becomes stupid when it becomes dangerous
Originally Posted by buzzman
"Safety and Winter Cycling"

I have been riding a bike for transportation purposes in New England winters for almost 40 years now. A few things I've observed during that time:

#1 ) A bicycle can be an excellent means of transportation in the winter, even in relatively extreme conditions if the cyclist is well prepared and aware of the limitations and liabilities of winter riding.

#2 ) ...

#3 ) The number of people who will think you are "crazy" for riding to work mid-winter will be much larger than those that roll their eyes when you told them you just rode 100 miles to the company picnic mid-summer.

What this means is that you will have few allies and very few people who understand why you insist on riding a bike in the winter
Generally I get kudos or just indifference towards my cycling, mostly as a year-round commuter here in Metro Boston, even after my serious accident four years ago.

The most hostile remarks, particularly in Winter, are from those drivers who fear for themselves to hit me.

#4 ) In really bad conditions the only motorized vehicles on the road will be snowplows, emergency vehicles and people in cars who are too stupid to stay home. ..

#5 ) Snowplow drivers are super dangerous.

#6 ) Take the lane and be visible. Drivers often hop into their car after having scraped a small 4" diameter circle in the ice on their windshield and soon the interior of their car windows are fogged to such a degree to turn all drivers into Mr. Magoo.

#7 ) Mid-winter, IMO, is not the time to politicize your bike riding. Take the lane as a necessity but a snow storm is not the time to assert your right to the road in any self-righteous fashion or in a way that can be perceived as such. See point #2 - YOU WILL HAVE FEW ALLIES! This is a fact of life, a reality.

Most people think you're nuts to be out in that weather- even other cyclists. If the bike lane isn't plowed, if the MUP isn't plowed you're entitled to being ticked off about it but be realistic most town/city/state budgets are cash strapped and special plowing for the .0002% of vehicles during a snow emergency may not be a priority right now and that means being prepared to ride in crap.

#8 ) Outfit your bike for winter riding.Having a poorly equipped bike in the winter is the equivalent to the jerk in the car driving on bald tires, old windshield wipers and no defroster.

#9 ) The reality is that people driving their cars are far more dangerous to both themselves and others on the road than a cyclist is in winter conditions

#10) Winter cyclists are definitely marching to the beat of a different drummer.
Not to be a Captain Bringdown on Winter Cycling…
To handle the nefarious situations of Winter Cycling, see this thread “Emergency Winter Cycling Kit?,” including my measures...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-20-19 at 11:47 AM. Reason: expanded the quote by buzzman...an all-time favorite