Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyguy1914
Hey how are you today? Well I been looking did you see the two bikes i posted in the links?? I like the one but its 3K and full carbon the other is 2500 and Alu frame.
I want dual shocks also. Trek and Giants same components are 4k and up
BD does offer bikes at a pretty good price, but you need to understand the trade-offs.

First, you have to be able to basically re-build the thing yourself. Yes, they come mostly assembled, but they are not always too careful about it, and things may be over/under tightened. Plan to go over the whole thing, especially the hubs if they are cup and cone.

You are pretty much on your own regarding support. If you are good at wrenching your own stuff (like above) this may be fine.

The frame designs (both in terms of geometry and suspension design) are usually a couple few years behind the latest and greatest. This may or may not matter to you. Also, I highly doubt they are built to the specs and tolerances of higher end bikes from the likes of Giant and Trek. Do not let the fact that these may have come from the same factory fool you.

Component-wise, make SURE you are comparing apples to apples. For example, all RS Pikes are not created equal. Or Fox 34s.

Buying from BD can make sense if you keep the above in mind. But also keep in mind there is a reason more long time enthusiasts don't buy them despite the seemingly great bargains that they are. The problem is that the target is people who are relatively new to the sport, but those very same people who do not have the wrenching knowledge to make the best use of them.

If I were to go with a direct-sales company, I'd be looking at something like Canyon.
Likes For Kapusta: