View Single Post
Old 09-04-20, 08:49 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggman84
It did not go out of the factory with Tiagra STI shifters; all Trek 520s of that era used barend shifters. Also Shimano introduced Tiagra in 2011, starting with 4400 at 9 speed. Per Trek catalogs, 9 speed cassettes were not introduced on the 520 until 2001. So, if based on color it is a 1999 frame, then someone updated both the shifters and cassette before the original purchaser bought it Not unheard of for a bike shop to change components. Maybe it was languishing on the floor and they though putting on STI shifters and going to 9 speed would move it out the door.. You can actually contact Trek with the serial number and they should be able to tell you when it was built. Or use teh vintage Trek web site to identify it Vintage Trek Bicycle Frame Serial Numbers, bike

In any event it is a great bike. I think 9 speed RDs and cassettes are great for touring, For my taste, its geared a little high but you can change the crankset to a MTB style and use an older 1999 or earlier MTB front derailleur (before they made the inner plate so tall).
probably a typo on your part. Tiagra 9 speed has been around a lot longer than 2011. My 2010 tiagra sti's are the generation after these ones. A friend of mine has a cannondale touring bike with these ones, and I think her bike is from the early 2000s.
I've ridden these tiagras and they shift very nicely.

as for cleaning them, just spray the heck out of them and click click click a lot. They well very likely loosen up and be fine.
I use a spray product called jig a loo, silicon based spray I believe. Spray innards twice a season more or less.