Old 09-15-20, 03:06 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, I'm wondering if the removal temp is a part of the problem. MSW says 200°F, and at that temp, you'll get a thin coating and a little bit of drip, but nothing excessive. Breaking the links and running them over a rod/dowel gets rid of a little more and it's really not problematic afterward.
You have to leave it in the hot wax until the chain is the same 200 degrees. Be EXTREMELY careful while removing and hanging it overhead on a hook to drain and cool. At this temperature with hot wax on it it is both very slippery and can burn your hands. Remember that the wax is so thin when everything is at the same temperature that the surface coating is very thin. If you're using a hot pot to nelt the wax and teflon powder you can watch the small bubbles coming off of the chain as the hot wax penetrates into the rollers. Again, this WILL burn your hands if you're not careful. The surface wax comes off fairly rapidly and usually blows away in the wind because it is like fairly dust. It isn't heavy enough to leave any residue on the cassette. But I find that although it is the very best, that you have to rewax really often so I use things like Pedros Icewax or Park Tool CL-1 and allow it to dry overnight.. This isn't quite as clean but it lasts a great deal longer.