View Single Post
Old 09-28-20, 11:47 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8284 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I'm doing a highly unscientific survey to try and determine if it's inevitable that bicyclists "devolve" to a more up-right riding position as we age no-matter-what or if the more aggressive riding positions are just as possible despite one's age.

What I've experienced on various bicycle forums and in real life is that many people who rode a race bike when they were young gradually buy a bicycle that has a more up-right riding position as they age... and in many cases, give-up on traditional bikes altogether and buy a recumbent or trike. The reason for this is typically, "I can't comfortably ride in that low position any more due to [insert medical conditions here, like lower back pain, neck pain, belly is too big, etc.]".
Of course it's not inevitable for everyone. We are not all the same. A friend who was an Olympian and national team member is now 69 and can still get the total "flat back" position. Another friend is 68 and has the body of a fit 35 year old and can also get low and haul ass on his Tarmac.

I have never been able to get super low and age has definitely affected my flexibility and if I spend a few hours in the drops it wears me out.