View Single Post
Old 10-26-20, 11:08 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I mis-typed a bit there, the trails are 15 minutes from my house, but adding in the time of dressing, then getting all my stuff together and putting in in the truck is at least a 30 minute affair on a good day.

Also, if you are looking in to a fat tire bike, have you priced the tires for those at all?

I cringe when I have to ride my cheap ass Kendas on pavement. Ain't no way I'd want to ride a pair of ~$100+ knobbies on pavement for any appreciable amount of time.
I'm using Maxxis 27.5x 2.8 tires on my plus bike. I ride it on pavement or dirt/pavement a lot and the rear tire no longer has knobs. I have seen them for $85 but haven't ordered one yet.
If I want a couple hours of solo climbing or spinning from home I can take that bike and keep the wear off my road bike and be able to go anywhere, dirt or bad road.
I have thought about getting a gravel bike because some friends have them and there are some fire roads I could ride to on the road and not have to hump a 32 pound mtb to get there.
One of my friends put drop bars on an old hardtail mtb and that thing works for all kinds of stuff, depending on the wheels he uses that day.

Last edited by big john; 10-26-20 at 11:19 AM.
Likes For big john: