View Single Post
Old 06-03-20, 07:02 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by JVG
Domane 2020
in general how do you like the bike ? Can you fit a 40mm tire with 4mm of clearance each side ? I notice you also have a checkpoint alr .. I ride aprox 70% road and 30% light gravel and dirt roads and looking to ad another bike to the collection but cant decide between those 2 ? Maybe you can help with some insight as you own both
I absolutely love my 2020 Domane..will have fit for a long time. I tried to fit the 43c tires from the Checkpoint onto the Domane last night and they don't quite fit...the rear one rubs at the fender mount in the crotch of the chain stays. My estimate is that a 38c is the biggest I'll ever run on the Domane with the 4mm clearance either side. Tons of room on the checkpoint though.

Based on your use-case description, I would spend money on a new Domane and get some nice 35c tires. The 32c R3 tires that come on the bike will do light gravel just fine. I would only go Checkpoint if you were tackling much more aggressive stuff and prefer the GRX groupset.

Good luck with your decision.