View Single Post
Old 08-08-19, 02:59 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Wellllll, that's not 100% true, strictly. If you have Simplex or Huret dropouts, you need to pause and think about things, which is likely the root of the question. But yes, Gipiemme dropouts will most likely conform to the "universal" Campy standard.
For those in the know, it is often easy to recognize the significance of what one dropout/hanger manufacturer means in terms of compatibility, but there were many variations. Gipiemme also used a lot of Simplex derailleurs at one time or another, but I presumed that these were probably Campagnolo-style on a F a g g i n frame. Apparently I'm right based on CTony's previous post.

It still stands as a matter of fact that if you look beyond the manufacturer (which can cause confusion - for example, many early Simplex dropouts didn't even come with hangers) you can discern all of the component compatibility simply by checking the style of hanger and the rear dropout spacing. As far as hub spacing goes the manufacturer and style of hanger has no bearing whatsoever, of course, since that depends on the frame geometry.

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988: