Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
How big is your company? Is three a lot?

If we lost three were I am now, I'm not sure anyone would notice.
Eh, not a lot, but not nothing. Maybe 2-7% or something, depending on how you want to count the size of the company. It was 2 people out of maybe 40 in one group sort of thing. It was sudden enough, and although somewhat tied to performance, not entirely so, and timed together, that it makes people worry.

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
My stance on that is that a lot of companies these days want to have the world, and eat it too.

They want super educated ready go getters, but don't want to pay for them. Then, when the people acquire the skills and talent and years and DO get paid........they find reasons to shift them out and rinse-repeat.

People disagree with me, but I've seen it. It certainly isn't the German or Nordic models for employment in the US. In the US I sum it up with "no honor amongst thieves". I increasingly see it the norm to see resumes of people much older than me applying to where I work that in the last 10 years have a bunch of 2 year strings of employments put together.

You used to see more of the 5, then 10 year, then 20 year services strung together.
Yeah, for sure. You either perform, or you're gone, and if the company isn't performing, you might be gone anyway. Thankfully, I've seen more employees starting to figure this out over the last 10 years or so, that they need to get theirs while they can, and always have a backup plan. The market is tight enough at the moment that all three of them either have something or likely will soon. These days you have to keep yourself valuable though, unfortunately, and hope the money keeps coming in. But if it doesn't keep coming in, you don't want to be the least useful one, or the highest paid, or some combination of not very useful and expensive.

I'm expensive, but I'm useful (for now, anyway).