Old 03-31-20, 01:14 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
No offense Wildwood but is your off-the-cuff rant against the Shimano MTB drivetrain motivated by experience, or speculation? Having used the 1x Deore XT drivetrains in the past on both mountain and "gravel" bikes, it works quite well and I don't think anybody reports any issues with fragility. The designs have been OEM on mountain bikes for many years now and I'd think if the issues you're bring up are real, the many hundreds of thousands of people who have actually ridden the components off-road would have mentioned them.

Are you attempting to imply it is a more attractive drivetrain from a different angle?

I have no experience with 1X drivetrains except a 1X1 and 1X5 - definately not an upscale drivetrain.

for the mountain bikes and mountainside off-roaders I do not choose to dictate components. The need for mud clearance and components that do not jam in heavy dust/dirt and withstand a bit of bashing. The Olivetti seems to be in that camp.

If it is not catching on, there are probably multiple issues from various industry camps so 'superiority' may prove elusive. You should collect a bunch for their future value.